Your cellphone may or may not make calls from China. If it does make calls, your cellphone provider will charge you horrendously high rates to even text home. Bring your phone for the airports in the States and as an alarm clock, but as soon as you get on the airplane to come to China, set your phone on airplane mode and leave it that way.

Don't worry. There are multiple ways to call home using the internet, even from the internet to your family's home phone, that are free or very cheap. Tell us when you get here and we will help you get set up.

For calls within China, each team will have one or two cheap Chinese cell phones.

Electronics and other Electrical Devices

Check the charger on your cell phone, lap top computer, and other electronics to make sure the label says "120v-240v." ("V" means "volts." It is important that the voltage goes up to 240.) If it says "120v-240v" (and most modern electronics do,) your electronics will work in China without a power adapter.

If the plug for your computer is three pronged, you should consider bringing a plug adapter, which will let you plug your three pronged plug into a two pronged (or different three pronged) hole. You can get plug adapters in China, but they may be easier to find in the States. Check the Container Store, AAA, or your local travel agency. You can usually get a set of them for different countries. Bring the one that says it works in China. Anything with two straight prongs should be fine.

Anything else such as hair dryers, curlers, straighteners, electric razors, and other appliances are usually too low of a voltage for China. (Although, you should check them first, because they might be okay.) You can get a power adapter in America, but they're heavy and take up a lot of your luggage weight. You can buy a power adapter in China, although finding one might take some exploring. Or you could borrow a hair dryer or buy one in China. Don't worry about hair curlers or straighteners. Hainan isn't kind to hair styling.

Credit/Debit Cards

Check with your bank to make sure you can use your debit/credit card in China. You may need to ask them to allow your card to be used internationally for a certain amount of time. Also, ask them about any fees they may charge for using the card internationally. Many banks charge around a five dollar fee every time you use your card internationally.

China is a cash society, but there are plenty of ATMs for withdrawing money. Don't expect to use your card in any stores or restaurants.


If you bring American cash, Mr. or Mrs. Mills will help you exchange it.